a short history of
              the presbyterian church of chazy new york 1805-1955
a short history of
              the presbyterian church of chazy new york 1805-1955




150 years of Service to Christ and His Kingdom

A Short History

of the

Presbyterian Church

of Chazy, New York

1805 - 1955

A Great Heritage
calls for

A Great Future

PRINTED AT THE MOORSFIELD PRESS, CHAMPLAIN, N. Y.
1955



A Short History of

The Presbyterian Church

Chazy, New York

THE INFANT CHURCH

The French explorer Samuel Champlain was the first white man who looked over the beautiful Lake which today bears his name. This was in July of the year 1609. Sixty years later the first French Fort Ste. Anne was built on an isle in the Lake, under the direction of Sieur de La Motte, the first Commandant. Two of his officers, Captain de Traversy and Sieur de Chazy, while hunting on the west side of the Lake opposite the fort, were killed by Indians. The two nearby rivers flowing into the Lake bear the name of one of these young French officers.

 
    The first white settler in this locality came in the year 1763.  Toward the end of the century we find 13 families at Chazy Landing.  The Landing occupied a prominent place in the early history of the town and was known as the City. In 18o I only five families were in the present radius of the village, which came to be known as the "Five Nations".

 

A far stretch of the imagination is necessary to give the mind's eye a picture of the locality at that date. A dense forest with a log house here and there, the home of some settler and his family; very few passable roads, mostly only paths through the woods, indicated by marked trees.  No grist or saw mills had yet been built. It needed men and women of indomitable will and courage and faith in God and in their fellow men to undertake, under such conditions, the creation of new homes for their families and still maintain their integrity and Christian character. That they did succeed is clearly shown by the records.

 

In 1804 the Town of Chazy was organized.  In April of the same year the first town officers were chosen and a more orderly and regulated manner of life was shaping up. The people were feeling the need of a regularly preached gospel and decided to make an effort to attain this blessing. Before the town had reached its first birthday, a meeting was called for March 22, 1805, to be held at the residence of Septa Fillmore. Without the benefit of a Minister, Elder, Deacon or Vestryman present, a corporation of the "First Presbyterian Congregational Church and Society of the Town of Chazy" was organized; the corporation bond and articles of agreement were signed by eighty-five men.


    At the following meeting a committee was appointed to find places to hold their worship services. One-third of the meetings were to be held at the Lake and two-thirds at or near the village. The meetings of this early "apostolic" Church were held at any available place: in barns, in homes, on the street, at the Lake in the first frame house built by Captain Amasa Ladd, and later in school houses. It was a vigorous evangelistic Church. On the Sabbath day the worship services consisted mainly of the Reading of the Word and singing. A sign post erected in some conspicuous place advertised meetings, and when roads were safe for a horse to travel, a messenger was sent on horseback to inform the settlers of any public event, Church or otherwise.

CHURCH BUILDING PLANNED

 

   In 1808 the first school house was built on the present site of Gray Gables; it was also intended to serve as a place for religious services, town hall and town clerk's office, and seated more than 200 people. After the Battle of Plattsburgh, September 11, 1814, the whole area around the village developed rapidly. Regular services were resumed and the Church made steady progress.

In early 1818 the school house burned and a Church edifice was deemed a necessity. A subscription was circulated, committees appointed, plans drawn and the contract let, and the first meeting was held in the new Church on Founders' Sunday, March 19, 1819.

 This first Church was erected on the site of the present building. This old House of Worship was a quaint structure, with a wide lobby across the front, and three outside doors.

There were four large pillars or columns in front, supporting the belfry. Ten windows were on each side, five above and five below, four in the rear, and three in the front gallery over the entrance. It was an imposing facade as one drove up to the Church door, the fine wooden pillars and pediment giving to it the appearance of a Greek temple.

The pulpit was a high octagonal structure above the heads of the congregation, like a bird cage which projected from the platform where the minister sat. The pews on each side of the middle aisle were wide slips; those against the walls were square, so high that some observed that the congregation looked as if they were in swimming. As organs were considered worldly, music was rendered by violins, bass viol, flutes and other instruments. In the early days places of worship were not heated, the fervor of the spirit and foot warmers being relied upon; gradually, however, stoves came into use.

THE MATURED CHURCH

About every ten years regular Revival periods were conducted. The one in the 1830's was especially intensified throughout this section of the country, and multitudes were saved, giving themselves to the Lord and to His Church. Many new members were added to the Church during this period. Two young ladies, Nancy and Irene Ransom, did extensive visitations from house to house. The Rev. Cyrus W. Offer wrote of the work of Nancy: "Ah, tell it not to honor her, she needs it not, being crowned with glory, honor and immortality, but tell it to awaken and stimulate others, how in the springtime, when the roads were all but impassable and the teams were fairly out of the question, and four or five miles to the House of God in the village, she would cheerfully trudge this distance to her much beloved spiritual home and back again." How beautiful, but alas how rare such devotion!

 

On April 14, 1833, the congregation voted to unite with the Champlain Presbytery and became the First Presbyterian Church of Chazy. An up-to-date list of the membership was made, the Articles of Faith and Covenant were revised, and from then on the Church assumed more responsibility for the behavior of its members. In 1836 a committee was appointed to visit every resident member of the Church to inquire into the state of their minds and endeavor to benefit them by religious conversation and by prayer. Complaints were brought to the Church against those who had broken the covenant or neglected their Christian duty. A committee was appointed to receive these complaints, out of which grew the "Church Court" which held sway over the congregation until after 1845.

In 1847 the congregation began contributing annually to the work of the great Church through its Boards of Home Missions, Foreign Missions, and Bible and Tract Societies.

 The first mention of a Ladies Society in the Church was the gathering of a group of ladies at the home of the minister, Rev. A. D. Brinkerhoff, on March 11, 1852. They organized the "Church Parsonage Society", their purpose being to raise money by their own labor or other proper means in order to purchase a parsonage; a number of men joined the group. In 1853 the house occupied by the minister was purchased, and in 1868 a new brick building was completed on the location of the old manse.

 Later the name was changed to the "Ladies Sewing Society", the forerunner of the present "Ladies Aid Society". From almost the beginning, quilting was a large and important part of their work. Many beautiful quilts were made, thus providing money for the other things needed.

 In 1860 Rev. Zebulon M. P. Luther became the pastor of the Church. He was born and raised in Chazy, and entered the ministry at an early age.

THE NEW CHURCH

    In the year 1875, after careful consideration, it was decided to take down the old Church and rebuild on the same site; immediate efforts were made to secure the necessary funds by subscription. On May 23, 1875, the last Sunday Services were held in the old structure before it was placed in the hands of the builder. The new Church was dedicated by the Champlain Presbytery on June 22nd of the following year. This edifice was built on the foundation and frame of the earlier Church, with a vestibule and choir box being added.

During the ministry of Rev. P. J. H. Myers, a daughter of J. W. Hubbell, Anne Moore Hubbell, was married to Clarence H. Jones. Mrs. Jones is our oldest member, still a very regular attendant at our services. Some twenty-odd years later, Rev. Myers had the privilege of solemnizing the marriage of Daisy, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jones, to Mr. LeClanche Moen.

 

The Ladies Aid Society had felt for some time the need of more room, and in 1903 they obtained permission from the trustees to build the present rooms called the Church Parlors, to be used primarily for social functions.

 

Toward the end of the past century a lad of seventeen joined the Church. Prior to this, William H. Miner had attended regularly the Church of his forefathers with his uncle and aunt, John and Huldah Miner. The following year he went away to learn a trade and further his education. About 1903 Mr. Miner returned to his home town and began the development of Heart's Delight Farm as his permanent residence; this farm had been in the Miner family since 1819, when it had been purchased by Mr. Miner's grandfather.

 

On July 10, 1912, during a terrific thunderstorm, the steeple of the Church was struck by lightning and caught fire in the belfry. Despite the storm, great effort was made to save the Church. At this time the nearest available firefighting apparatus was at Heart's Delight Farm, two miles away. The telephone being put out of use by the storm, a horse and courier were dispatched to the farm and in a short time Mr. Miner arrived personally at the scene with many men, and after much work the fire was brought under control. The belfry, however, was completely burned and the bell dropped from its hangings.

 

From this time on, Mr. Miner took a definite interest in the Church and its affairs, and helped to get the belfry repaired. In 1914 he installed a hot water heating system in the Church. Later he rebuilt the manse and the basement of the Church as a recreation room, which he suitably furnished. In 1920 he had the Church wired and supplied with power. In numerous other ways, directly or indirectly, he supported and promoted the work of the Church. After his death in 1930 his widow continued in the same spirit. Both of them left substantial legacies, the income from which aids materially in the operational costs. The interest of Mr. and Mrs. Miner in the welfare and prosperity of the Church is still evidenced through the W. H. Miner Foundation, Mr. A. P. Withall and Mr. John Maslowski.

On April 1, 1918, the Rev. Andrew R. Kay was called to the pulpit of this Church. For the next thirty-five years, until April 30, 1954, he faithfully served his Lord and the people of the community. During his ministry the Men's Club was organized, which later became a community-wide project. During the same period the congregation witnessed the highly successful ministry of music of M r. Donald B. Robinson, who is now the organist and choir director of the Broadway Presbyterian Church in New York City. The Missionary Society, organized in 191o, became a moving force for mission education under the leadership of Mrs. Kay. The Friendship Club, organized in 1946, has as its purpose the promotion of the spiritual, social and physical welfare of the Church, and has been very active during its short existence.

TO SERVE THE PRESENT AGE . . . !

    On May 1, 1954, the Rev. Dimiter E. Wassen was called to serve the Church as a stated supply. One year later, on May 27, 1955, he was installed as pastor and bishop of the Church by the act of the Champlain Presbytery. The installation sermon was preached by Dr. Ritchie Bell, Professor of Pastoral Theology and Homiletics of the Presbyterian College at McGill University, Montreal.

 

At a special meeting of the Corporation in the summer of 1954, the motion was carried to sell the old manse and build a new ranch-type house on the lot next to the Church. This new manse is a modern home, built especially to fill the requirements of a minister's family. The contractors were E. C. McWhinnie and Son. Many members and friends contributed voluntary labor and help.

 

True to the great heritage, the Church responded to the appeal of Great Church for Benevolences, giving in a magnificent way. The congregation pledged to give to General Assembly's benevolent causes 400% more than it did last year. This fact received nation-wide recognition.

Acknowledging the spirit of the congregation, the Clinton Council of Churches authorized the pastor of this Church and the congregation in general to evangelize the new housing project on Point au Roche and secure the building of a Church. This Church is truly to become a Mission Church!

 

On Sunday, March 20, 1955, we celebrated Founder's Day. After the impressive morning service, during which Dr. W. Stanford Reid, an Associate Professor at McGill University, preached the sermon, dinner was served in the newly decorated Church Parlors. Following this, Mrs. Nell Sullivan read from the history of the Church, and Elder Levi Todriff, Presbytery Chairman for Stewardship and Promotion, reported on his visits to the Annual Meeting of Presbyterian Men and to the instruction meeting for the Stewardship Advance Program for 1957. The Anniversary motto "A great heritage calls for a great future" was already presenting itself in a concrete form. The influence of this Church is felt throughout the Presbytery and the Synod of New York.

THE CHALLENGE OF THE FUTURE

One Holy Church of God appears through every age and race,
Unwasted by the lapse of years, Unchanged by changing place.

O living Church, Mine errand speed, Fulfill thy task sublime;
With Bread of life earth's hunger feed.
Redeem the evil time!

AMEN



THE WAY OF THANKS

"Gratitude is the memory of the heart." This is what a child in a deaf-and-dumb school wrote in answer to the question: "What is gratitude?" This child's heart was neither deaf nor dumb.

Looking back over the past 150 years we can only respond with a deep sense of gratitude for the wonderful work done by many generations of humble men and women in the vineyard of the Lord. Their example should be a shining beacon for many more generations to come. "A great heritage calls for a great future" is the motto for our Anniversary Week, July 17 through July 24, 1955. This brief history of our congregation was prepared and published in the hope that it will preserve for future Christian generations the great heritage of our forefathers.

 

The material used in this pamphlet is a condensation of the work of Mrs. Nell B. Sullivan, Church historian and Chairman of the Anniversary Committee. She has collected a vast amount of historical data, which is of immeasurable value. A great service will be granted to our Church and to the people of Chazy in general if the extensive work of Mrs. Sullivan can be published in full.

 

On behalf of the Session and the people of the Presbyterian Church in Chazy we desire to take this opportunity to thank Mrs. Sullivan for her contribution toward the up-building of the Kingdom.

 

They shall abundantly utter the memory of the
great goodness and shall sing." Psalms 145: 7

                                DIMITER E. WASSEN, PASTOR


MINISTERS OF THE CHURCH

1805 - 1807        Mr. Stephen Kinsley

1807 - 1832        The Rev. Joel Byington

1832 - 1834        The Rev. Abraham D. Brinkerhoff

1834 - 1840        The Rev. C. C. Stevens

1840 - 1844        The Rev. S. R. Woodruff

1847 - 1851        The Rev. Erastus S. Barnes

1851 - 1857          The Rev. Abraham D. Brinkerhoff, 2nd term

1858 - 1860         The Rev. Stephen H. Williams

1860 - 1864        The Rev. Zebulon M. P. Luther

1868 - 187!        The Rev. Pitson J. Abbott

1873 - 1874        The Rev. James F. Donaldson

1874 - 1877        The Rev. Cyrus W. Offer

1877 - 1894         The Rev. Peter J. H. Myers

1894 - 1900       The Rev. A. Cushinrbill, A.

1900 - 1902         The Rev. W. W. Mead

1902 - 1909        The Rev. Henry G. Margetts

1909 - 1911         The Rev. William McDougald Jack, PH.D.

1912 - 1913         The Rev. C. H. Schneegos

1914 - 1917        The Rev. George R. Mott, B.D.

1918 - 1954           The Rev. Andrew R. Kay, B.D., D.D.

1954 -                       The Rev. Dimiter E. Wassen, M.A., PH.D.


1805 - 1955

SESQUICENTENNIAL WEEK

July 17 through July 24, 1955

 The Presbyterian Church

Chazy, New York


A Short History of

The Presbyterian Church of Chazy, New York

BY MRS. NELL B. SULLIVAN

 

This authoritative booklet, just published, may be obtained from the Ushers
at a nominal price.  We hope that all members of the Church will

obtain copies for themselves and their friends.

Church Directory

Sunday Morning Service at 11 o'clock. (During June, July and August at 10 o'clock )
A NURSERY is supervised during the Worship Service. Enquire of ushers.
Church School and Adult Bible Class at 10 a.m.
Christian Youth Fellowship at 7 p.m. on Sunday.

Bible Study Fellowship every Wednesday evening.
Telephones : Manse 4431 Church 2182

Rev. D. E. Wassen, Ph.D.                         Pastor

Rev. A. R. Kay, B.D., D.D.                      Pastor Emeritus

Mrs. Melvin McWhinnie                          Organist

Miss Alice Dickinson                     Junior Choir Director

Mrs. Ruth Spelman                                   Church School Supt.

Mr. Clyde Lewis                            Treasurer pro-tem.

Mrs. Nell B. Sullivan                                Church Historian

Mr. Arthur Sewell                                               Sexton

ELDERS

1955                                              1956                                                        1957

J. Ralph McCuen                    Levi Todriff                  Mrs. B. N. Dickinson

Mrs. Margaret Start       Mrs. John Beekman      Harry Vincent

The Session meets every third Tuesday of the month at 7:30 p.m.

DEACONS

Clyde Lewis                                                      Homer Labare
Meet on Call by the Moderator.

TRUSTEES

Harry Barber, Custodian       John Maslowski, Chairman               Walter Hunsinger

Dudley Trombly             Edwin C. McWhinnie                       J. Erwin Fisher

The Board meets every third Thursday of the month at 8 p.m.


Sunday, July 17, at 10 a.m.
Anniversary Service

Organ Meditation - "Hear My Prayer" ............................... Mendelssohn

Mrs. Melvin McWhinnie

The Call to Worship - "Holy, Holy, Holy"................................ Hymn 57

(The congregation will rise)

Minister : Praise waiteth for thee, O God, in Zion; and unto thee shall the vow be performed,

People:         O thou that hearest prayer, unto thee shall all flesh come.

Minister : Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts.

People:       We shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy
temple. Amen.

Prayer of Confession                                                          Silent Prayer

Assurance of Pardon                                                   The Lord's Prayer

(The congregation seated and bowing down)

The Hymn of the Body of Christ.. .................................................. 333

"The Church's One Foundation Is Jesus Christ Her Lord"

Responsive Reading - page 530, selection 19 (Psalm 48)

The Apostles' Creed

Gloria Patri

Anthem - "The Lord Is My Light"................................ Frances Allitsen

Solo by Mrs Mildred Goodrich

Scripture Reading                                                           Pastoral Prayer

Choral Response

The Presentation of Tithes and Offerings

Offertory - "The Heavens Are Declaring"............................... Beethoven

The Church Choir

The Act of Dedication Announcements

The Hymn of the Kingdom of God on Earth................................... 384
"Fling out the Banner"

(Children may remain with their parents or adjourn to their Church School classes)

Sermon - "The Banners of the Lord"...The Rev. F. Joseph Littell

Pastor, First Presbyterian Church, Plattsburgh, N. Y.

Praise To Christ The Lord............................................................... 198

"Ye Servants of God, Your Master Proclaim"

Benediction

(The congregation seated and remaining in silent prayer through the Organ Amen)

Organ Postlude - "Benediction in A-Minor"................................... Wely



Sunday, July 17, at 3 p. m.

AT THE CHURCH AUDITORIUM

Historical Pageant

     The history of our Church will be presented in a series of dramatic episodes illustrating highlights in the life of this Christian Fellowship over the past 150 years.

The research work for this Pageant has been done by Mrs. Nell B. Sullivan, the Church Historian. She will supervise the actual production, and will be assisted by Mrs. Walter Spelman and Mrs. Donald Abbey.

The first part of the Pageant will be presented in the afternoon between 3 and 5 o'clock. About 6 o'clock, Supper will be served at the Social Hall of the Methodist Church, by the Women's Society of Christian Service.  Following the Supper, at 7:30 o'clock, the Pageant will continue at the Auditorium of the Church.

Monday, July 18, at 7:30 p.m.

The Clinton County Council of Churches
REV. WILLIAM MALPASS, PRESIDENT

Call to Worship                                                      Prayer of Invocation

The Lord's Prayer

Hymn of Praise ................................................................................ 52

"Come Thou Almighty King, Help Us Thy Name To Sing"

The Evening Meditation ........................... Mr. Robert Simonds, Alaska

The Hymn of Christian Fellowship ................................................ 341

"In Christ there is no East or West"

THE BUSINESS MEETING OF THE COUNCIL

Rev. Malpass, Presiding

Address - "Methods of Evangelizing an Expanding Community"

The Rev. Charles Stanley Jones, D.D.

Pastor, First Congregational Church, Burlington, Vermont

Benediction ........................................................ Rabbi Salomon Oster

Vice-President, Clinton County Council of Churches

Refreshments served at the Church Parlors (north side of Church building).  During this period, Mr. Fred Kaufman, representative of the Carnoy American Building Corp., builders of the Point au Roche and Cumberland Head housing projects, will be available for questions.




Tuesday, July 19, at 8 p. m.

Recital

DONALD B. ROBINSON, B.S., M.A.                                   GEORGE E. YOKUM, PH.D.

At the Organ                                              Baritone

The Call to Worship

O come, let us sing unto the Lord;

Let us lift up our hearts with our voices unto God,

our strength and redeemer ;

Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving. Amen.

The Prayer of Invocation                                             The Lord's Prayer

PART I - Mr. Robinson

Two Trumpet Tunes and Air .................................................... Purcell

Adagio from "Toccata and Adagio in C" ....................................... Bach

Three pieces dedicated to the memory of Mr. and Mrs. William H. Miner, who gave this Welte Pipe Organ to the Church in 1924. These are their favorite organ selections.

Jesus, Joy of Man's Desiring ........................................................ Bach

Prayer ................................................................................... Guilmant

Evensong.................................................................................. Martin

Toccata from "Suite Gothique"  ............................................. Boellman

The Offertory Hymn ......................................................................... 6

"Praise ye the Lord, the Almighty, the King of Creation"

The people will stand)

PART II - Dr. Yokum

"Dedication" (Widmung) ............................................................ Franz

Pilgrim's Song.................................................................... Tchaikovsky

Sweet Little Jesus Boy (spiritual)............................. arr. by MacGimsey

PART III - Mr. Robinson

Fugue in C Major ("Fanfare")........................................................ Bach

This delightful fugue in the style of a trumpet fanfare belongs to Bach's youthful period. Because of its joyous, showy character, it is conceivable that he used it on his recital tours. The work appears only in the Augener Edition of Bach's works; therefore this new arrangement by E. Power Biggs is most welcome.

Clair de Lune....................................................................... Karg-Elert



Tuesday, July 19, at 8 p.m.

CONTINUED

The Summer. ......................................................................... Stebbins

The plaintive piping of God Pan

       Floats through the shimmering haze;

The lazy, far-off hillsides doze,

And dream of other days,

Till joyous youths of Arcady

Sweep by in sunburnt rout,

And leave the listening leafy trees

Drunk with their golden shout.

PART IV - Dr. Yokum

The People that Walketh in Darkness ("The Messiah")... Handel

The Light that is Felt (contemporary song) ........................ Charles Ives

In These Sacred Halls (In diesen heiling Hallen)

From "The Magic Flute".............. Mozart

PART V - Mr. Robinson

Bell Benediction....................................................................... Weaver

Toccata - "Thou art the Rock" ..................................................... Mulet

This brilliant Toccata is the concluding number of a series of interesting sketches, inscribed "En memoire de la Basilique du Sacre-Coeur de Montmartre". The Toccata bears the full inscription, ''Thou art the Rock, and the Gdtes of Hell shall not prevail against Thee". Beginning softly, an insistent rhythmic figure is repeated until a powerful climax is attained.

The Parting Hymn - "Abide with me"  .............................................. 33

The congregation seated)

Benediction ....................................................................... Mr. Wassen

Mr. Donald B. Robinson is organist and choir director at the Broadway Presbyterian Church in New York City since 1937. He studied at Northwestern University and McGill University, and holds B.S and M.A. degrees from Columbia. His first position as organist was with our Church from 1925 to 1936.

Dr. George Yokum is the acting chairman of the Fine Arts Department at the New York State Teachers College in Plattsburgh. He received his Ph.D. in Music Education from the Teachers College of Columbia University.

Accompanist for Dr. Yokum is Mr. David H. Miner, teacher at Chazy Central Rural School and organist and choir director, pro tem, for the Presbyterian Church in Plattsburgh.

 


Thursday, July 21, at 6:30 p.m.

The Layman's Banquet

In the Church Parlors - Ladies of the Friendship Club in Charge

Toastmaster.. ....................................................... Deacon Clyde Lewis

Introduction of Speaker ............................................ Elder Levi Todriff

Address................................................................. Hon. John P. Myers

Remarks..................................... Mr. William de Bois; Elder John Craig

tickets and reservations must be secured in advance

Saturday, July 23, 3 to 5 p. m.

Dedication Services Open House at the New Church Manse

REV. AND MRS. D. E. WASSEN, HOSTS

Hymn - "Lord, speak to me"........................................................... 399

Scripture Sentences............................................................ Mr. Wassen

Recognition of the Building Committee

Litany of Labor......................................................... Elder Levi Todriff

Leader: Thou All-Wise Creator, who hast made man and given him the duty to subdue the earth, that it may yield the riches Thou hast hidden therein; we thank Thee for the blessing of labor.

People: Bless and guide our labor, we beseech Thee.

Leader: From pride and avarice; from the hard heart which disregards a fellow-servant; from laziness, self-indulgence, and inhumanity:

People: Good Lord, deliver us.

Leader: 0 Thou who hast come from heaven to share our human lot; Thou who hast labored as a carpenter, a healer of the sick, a teacher of thy children; from shame of our work, and from failure to do our best:

People: Good Lord, deliver us.

Leader: Help us to find that portion of labor for which Thou hast fitted us. Sustain our health and strength that we may do it cheerfully and well. And when our work is done, forgive our faults and shortcomings, and receive us into Thy Joy.

People: Hear Thy servants and bless our labor, 0 Lord, we beseech Thee.

Leader: The God of all labor and patience bless you and keep you. Amen.

(The Book of Common Worship, adapted.)

Words of Dedication .............................................. The Rev. A. R. Kay

Pastor: God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ: Our Father who art in heaven: People: To Thee we dedicate this house to be used by the Overseer of Christ's flock. Pastor: Lord Jesus, Son of God, Saviour of the world, Head of the Body which is the Church:

People: To Thee we dedicate this house to be used by the Pastor of this Thine Church. Pastor: Spirit of God, given to be our abiding Teacher, Sanctifier and Comforter, Lord and Giver of Life:

People: To Thee we dedicate this house to be used by Thy Steward entrusted with the mysteries of the Godhead.

Prayer of Consecration                                                        Benediction


Sunday, July 24, at 10 a.m.
Communion Service

Organ Meditation - "Carillon".................................................. Sowerby

Mr. Donald Robinson, Guest Organist

Call to Worship - "Holy, Holy, Holy"

Minister: What shall we render unto the Lord for all His benefits toward us?

People:   We will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the Name of the Lord.

The Hymn of Christ - "Christ, whose glory fills the skies" .....26

Prayer of Invocation                            The congregation seated and bowing down)
Prayer of Confession

Almighty and most merciful Father; we have erred and strayed from Thy ways like lost sheep. We have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts. We have offended against Thy holy laws. We have left undone those things which we ought to have done; and we have done those things which we ought not to have done; and there is no health in us. But Thou, O Lord, have mercy upou us, miserable offenders. Spare Thou those, O God, who confess their faults. Restore Thou those, who are penitent; according to Thy promises declared unto mankind in Christ Jesus our Lord. And grant, O most merciful Father, for His sake; that we may hereafter live a godly, righteous, and sober life, to the glory of Thy holy Name. Amen.

 

The Lord's Prayer

Anthem - "Lord God of Abraham"..................................... Mendelssohn

Mr. Morris Lucia, West Chazy

The Scripture Reading................................. Book of Jeremiah, 31:31-34

Pastoral Prayer                                                             Choral Response
The Presentation of Tithes and Offerings

Offertory - "Open Our Eyes"................................................ Macfarlane

The Church Choir under Mr. Robinson

The Act of Dedication                                                  Announcements

Hymn - "Rock of Ages".......................................... 237 (verses 1 and 2)
The Admission of New Members to our Christian. Fellowship

Hymn ................................................................... 237 (verses 3 and 4)

Children may remain with their parents or sojourn to their Church School classes

 

Communion Meditation - "What makes the future?"..Mr. Wassen

The Communion Hymn................................................................. 352

"Here, O my Lord, I see Thee face to face"

The Sacrament of the Lord's Supper

Silent Prayer                                                                       Benediction

The congregation seated and remaining in silent prayer through the Organ Amen)

Organ Postlude - "Thou art the Rock" ......................................... Mulet




Sunday, July 24, at 8 p.m.

The Presbytery of Champlain, Synod of New York

Organ Meditation - "Cantabile" ........................................ Cesar Franck

"Nocturne"  ................................................ Grieg

Mr. Donald Robinson, Guest Organist

Processional Hymn - "Glorious things of Thee are spoken"...339

(The Members of Presbytery will follow the Choir)

Call to Worship

Minister: There is one God and Father of all, who is above all, through all, and in you all.

People:      For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
Minister: Come, walk in the way of the I.ord with songs of gladness and joy.

People:      The Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him
in truth. Amen.

Prayers of Invocation and Confession

The Lord's Prayer ............................................. The Rev. Morris E. Farr

Pastor, Fort Covington and Westville, N. Y., Churches

The Korean Creed:

We believe in the one God, Maker and Ruler of all things, Father of all men, the source of all goodness and beauty, all truth and love.

We believe in Jesus Christ, God manifest in the flesh, our teacher, example, and redeemer, the Saviour of the world.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, God present with us for guidance, for comfort, and for strength

We believe in the forgiveness of sins, in the life of love and prayer, and in grace equal to every need.

We believe in the Word of God, contained in the Old and New Testaments, as the sufficient rule both of faith and of practice.

We believe in the Church as the fellowship for worship and for service of all who are united to the living Lord.

We believe in the Kingdom of God as the divine rule in human society, and in the brotherhood of man under the fatherhood of God.

We believe in the final triumph of righteousness, and in the life everlasting. Amen.

                                                                The Rev. Dimiter E. Wassen       
                                                                                    Pastor of the Chazy Church

Gloria Patri

Anthem - "How Beautiful upon the Mountains".......................... Harker

Mrs. J.W. Davidson, M.A., Choir Director, Community Church, Peru, N.Y.

New Testament Lesson - Ephesians 3....................... The Rev. A. R. Kay

Pastor Emeritus

Prayers of Thanksgiving and Intercession

                                                            The Rev. George P. Morgan 
                                                                                  Pastor, Community Church, Peru, N.Y.

Choral Response

Sunday, July 24, at 8 p. m.

CONTINUED

The Presentation of Gifts and Offerings

Offertory - "What of the Night".............................................. Thomson

Duet by Mrs. J. W. Davidson and Mrs. D. E. Wassen

Act of Dedication

Greetings ........................................ The Rev. William E. Montgomery

Moderator of the Synod of New York

Pastor, Presbyterian Church, Glens Falls, N. Y.

Hymn - "O Zion, haste, thy mission high fulfilling"....................... 382

Introduction of the Speaker....................... The Rev. Jesse L. Corum, III

Moderator of the Presbytery of Champlain Pastor of the Adirondack Parish

Sermon ............................................................ The Rev. J. S. McBride

Pastor, Ephraim Scott Memorial Church, Montreal

The Hymn of the Kingdom of God on Earth ................................. .401

"Rise up, O Men of God, have done with lesser things"

The Word of Thanksgiving ................................................ Mr. Wassen

The Benediction............................................ The Rev. Alvin R. Gurley

Pastor, the Saranac Lake Church

Organ Postlude - "Toccata" from the Fifth Symphony.................. Widor





The Presbytery of Champlain


   PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, U.S.A.

Adirondack Parish: Gabriels, Lake Clear, St. Regis
The Rev. Jesse M. Corum,
III

Champlain, Rouses Point, Mooers
The Rev. William C. Watson

Chateaugay, North Burke, Burke
Mr. Eugene Williams

Chazy

The Rev. Dimiter E. Wassen

Essex (Federated)

The Rev. L. Joseph Morrow

Faust, Tupper Lake
The Rev. Fred Widman

Fort Covington, Westville
The Rev. Morris E. Farr

Malone

The Rev. C. A. Ronald Rowat

Peru (Federated)

The Rev. George P. Morgan

Plattsburgh

The Rev. F. Joseph Littell

Port Henry, Mineville
The Rev. Albert Stoddard

Saranac Lake

The Rev. Alvin R. Gurley

Pastors Emeritus

The Rev. Andrew R. Kay       The Rev. Harry F. Smith

Other Ministers on the Roll of Presbytery
The Rev. Charles Farah, Study in Scotland
The Rev. John C. Duffield, Ventura, California







THE OPEN DOOR

God make the door of this House wide enough to receive all who need human love,
fellowship and a Father's care.  God make the door of this House
the gateway to Thy Eternal Kingdom.

a short
                      history of the presbyterian church of chazy new
                      york 1805-1955
a short
                      history of the presbyterian church of chazy new
                      york 1805-1955
moorsfield press footer
        forpublications